Tuesday, September 10, 2024

2nd and 3rd Day in Kauai

On Wednesday, August 28th, we had a slower morning.  When we arrived our first day, the boys were each given animal stuffed animal seal as a welcome gift.  Then the next day a house keeping lady gave them all a stuffed animal parrot called "Duke," just like the parrot at the hotel.  Lucky boys!  After breakfast, Carter, Nyles and I went to a free beginning Ukulele class at the Hawaiian Cultural Center in the resort.

The boys w/ their stuffed animals.  At the Ukulele lesson.  Beautiful view from inside the hotel.

While we were at the lesson, Steve took Hudson swimming.

After our Ukulele lesson, we then got in the car and went out on our way.  We decided to check out the east wide of the island..  We went to places Steve and I went to when we were there 12 years ago.  It was so awesome to see them again!  We went to Lydgate Beach.  When we were there 12 years ago, I was pregnant w/ Nyles, so Steve spelled his name in the sand w/ twigs.  We wanted to recreate it, and spell each of the boys names on the beach this time.  We then went to see waterfalls, and then continued on to the north side of the island to a lighthouse and bird refuge.  We also went and found a beach, but didn't end up swimming as it was getting late.

On the way home, I went to free up space on my phone for more pictures (because it was full), and accidently deleted the photos from the day!  I was sick to my stomach!  I thought my photos had automatically backed up, but apparently they didn't.  I had deleted my trash bin as well on my phone, so they were lost!  I was so sad, as I had taken 99% of our photos.

Pictures from Steve: Nyles name spelled from twigs.  Wailua Falls.  The lighthouse.

Pretty views from our ride home (after I had deleted our photos).  
A toad at the hotel at our hotel as we got home.

As we drove home, I looked for ways to restore my photos, but couldn't find them.  Originally we were just going to drive up to the east side then come home, then go to the north side the next day.  Since we did it all in one day, and we knew even more where we were going,  I asked if we could do it again, so I could take pictures again, and this time make sure they were all backed up.  We decided to do it!  The next morning we got up, had breakfast, and left first thing in the morning.

The boys w/ their previous stuffed animals from the hotel staff, then their new ones that they got at the lighthouse bird refuge we stopped at the day before.  Carter also lost a tooth!  The cool tree tunnel.


On the road again!  This time we brought the electronics to help entertain the kids at times.  We also figured out that we could hook up our phones to the car for GPQ, which was great!

We made it up to Wailua Falls pretty early, so there weren't many people there, which was awesome!

Pretty views of the island.

We then stopped at Lydgate Beach Park again, and spelled their names again w/ twigs.

Silly Steve and Nyles!

Cool crab on the rocks.  Steve and I swam in the water when I was prego 12 years ago.  Steve helped steady me in the waves; it was fun.  We didn't swim this time though.

There is also a playground across the street, so we let the boys play for a little while again, just like they did the day before.

We then went over to Opaekaa Falls again.  So pretty!

Family pictures.

We then went over to another view spot and had fun w/ the chickens (pretending we were going to feed them and they'd come running).  The Wailua River.

Silly chickens.  The Kia Soul we rented.  Cute lizard.  A memorial.

Then we headed further north.  We passed a restaurant that Steve and I ate at 12 years ago :)

Beautiful views and flowers!

We then stopped at the bird refuge again.  Our National Parks pass got us in free, which was awesome!  It was fun to go back the 2nd day and notice things we didn't the first day.

Cool views from the lighthouse/bird refuge place.

More views.

The Hawaii Goose called the Ne Ne.  They were almost extinct, but they're coming back.  
We also saw lots of little chicks in their nests along the refuge.

Steve and I jumped out for a quick picture in front of the lighthouse on our way out.

We then went along the north shore.

We had found a beach the day before, but didn't stop, so this time we planned to swim/snorkel in it, called Anini Beach.

There were a lot of chickens and Ne Ne's there as well!

It was a beautiful beach!  We brought Hudson's puddle jumper life jacket, as he is very familiar w/ it in the water.  We also brought snorkel vests, which allow you to put air in them, so they act as a lifejacket too.  I'm really glad we brought them, so we could swim and enjoy the beauty w/out worrying about our swimming as much.

Hudson digging in the sand on the beautiful beach.

The boys getting a snack after swimming/snorkeling.

The coolest thing though, was we saw the state fish, the humuhumunukunukuapua, also called a Trigger Fish.  We all memorized the name the day before.  While we were at the bird refuge place, we stopped at the gift shop/bathroom, and I asked the employee how to say it.  She taught me, then I taught the boys.  We said it over and over until we got it!

I saw the fish while Nyles and I were out snorkeling.  I wanted Steve to see it as well though, so I told Nyles to go swim back to shore, and switch w/ Steve, so he could come out and see it.  Steve was on the beach w/ Carter and Hudson.  When Carter and Hudson heard the fish was out there, they wanted to see it also.  So Steve came out w/ both Carter and Hudson.  Carter had his snorkel set (mask and mouthpiece), but Hudson only had his swim goggles and he'd never snorkeled before.  Steve then explained to Hudson how to use the mouthpiece, and he figured it out!!!  They all made it over to me, and switched off w/ the mouthpiece to see the humuhumunukunukuapua!  I had to keep swimming back to it, as the current was pushing me, but we managed and were all able to see it.  It was so awesome!  

The humuhumunukunukuapua fish!  So cool!

Such a beautiful place!

More Ne Ne's and a cool tree!

Pretty scenery on our way back.

We then stopped at Costco for a quick bite, then back to our hotel.

We made it back!

The boys were super excited to swim at the pool once we got back!

The regular slide was under construction, so they put up blow up slides in its place.  
The boys thought they were super fun!

Slide fun!

The salt water lagoon at the resort.  It was a lot of fun!  So pretty!

I'm so thankful we had the time to go back to see those places again, and get pictures again.  We had a great time, made more memories (especially seeing the humuhumunukunukuapua'a in real life) and drew closer with one another.  It was a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment