Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Oh the JOY!!!


Can you believe Christmas has come and gone already? Man December is just flying! And speaking of flying....the snow just keeps coming down! When I went into work this morning the roads were just fine and dry, but a couple hours later it was snowing and yucky outside. Luckily I've only got 2 more days to drive to American Fork, then I'll be back up at Gateway and riding the traxs. Though the trax take a couple minutes longer than driving, we get to save on gas, not put as many miles on the car, and plus I get to read 1/2 hr each way (it's an easy way to get your scripture study in).

So this last week has been full of getting ready for Christmas. We decided to make cookies and give them to our neighbors and those who we home teach. I tried some new recipes, and based on how fast Steve and Zack ate them, I guess they turned out pretty good. :) I made snicker-doodles, chocolate cookies w/ white chocolate chips and coconut shavings, and peanut butter cookies w/ recess in the middle.

For Christmas Eve, Steve and I went over to Steve's grandma LuDean's. We met his parents there, along w/ Carrie and Aunt Diane. Jeff and baby Cameron also stopped by for a couple minutes. We had pizza for dinner and watched one of my family's favorite, "Seasons of the Heart." We then made graham cracker houses and decorated them. Steve and I then headed home to pack and get ready to head to Idaho. Since we were getting up early, we decided to open our Christmas gifts from each other. We wanted our first Christmas to be simple yet special, so we got just a couple gifts for each other and tried to focus on others more. I got Steve some slippers from Cabelas, along w/ a hat and pocket knife. He got me a really cool game, Blokus 3D. I love Blokus, so 3D was a slam! We took it to Idaho w/ us and everyone just loved it. He also got me a yoga mat and an oil vile key chain (so I'll always be ready or just in case he's not w/ me). By the time we went to bed it was midnight.


The next morning we got up at 7 so we could get the car loaded and get out the door by 9 so we could have lunch w/ my parents, grandma and aunt/uncle. I made one of Steve's favorite breakfasts, eggs, toast, sausage and orange juice. We then hurried, packed up, and left. We made good time. The road were dry and not many were driving that early, so we made good time; just in time for lunch! It was good to visit and to just be "home." That night we over to my brother Daron's house to play visit and play games w/ him and his family.

On Saturday, Steve went hunting coyotes w/ my dad and brothers, and I helped my mom make pizza. My little brother Dexter just got home from Afghanistan earlier this
week, so we were all glad to see him. He has just a couple more months of service, then he's done w/ the Marines. After lunch we all went down to Grandma's house for our Hegerhorst Christmas Party. We had our program of singing and story telling, then opened white elephant gifts, and had dinner. Riley fell asleep during the program on my dad's lap (so cute). After dessert, we went for a quick walk to see the cows, and Charlotte just loved it! Gotta love the cows ;)

On Sunday, we went to church and enjoyed more time w/ everyone...playing games, visiting, movies, eating, etc. Unfortunately dad wasn't feeling good the whole day. The night before his stomach started to hurt and by the next evening it still hadn't gone away. Steve and Chris gave him a blessing, but by the description he was giving us, we all felt we'd better take him to the hospital. We were all worried it would be his appendix, so we didn't want to chance it. By the time we decided this (since there wasn't any change by the time we were going to bed), it was after 11 pm. My Mom, Steve and I then jumped in the Tahoe and drove my dad to the ER in Boise (1 1/2 hrs away). They got us right in, took his blood, got an IV started, and took his vitals. Not his favorite thing in the world to have done, mine neither, but he survived. He made the best of the situation and were laughing all night (morning I guess it was technically). Dad got a little cold from the IV, so I put his beany on his head and got him all cuddled up ;)The Dr thought if it wasn't his appendix that it was his colon, and it was. He had developed a hole in his colon, which had been irritating him, obviously. It's called diverticulitis. The Dr gave him some antibiotics, but also recommended him going to his Dr a couple weeks later. I'm so thankful that we stayed an extra day and were able to take my dad to the hospital. Both Steve and I had the feeling to stay that night, and who knows if they would have gone in had we not been there. By the time we got home it was after 4 am, so needless to say, we were all a little tired the next day...any maybe still are.

I'm so thankful for this time of year, especially to give us an extra reason to reflect and think of Christ. I love my family and and so grateful to spend time w/ them. I know it is through the Atonement of Christ that we can return to our Heavenly Father and live w/ our families as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment