Wednesday, September 16, 2020

3rd Week of August - 23rd Week of Quarantine - Welcome Baby Hudson!

The 3rd week of August was full of anticipation of the arrival of our new baby.  I took Monday through Wednesday off from work to try and relax and get a few more things done.  The school district also decided to push back the start of school another week so we got to spend a few more days together w/ just the 4 of us.  It worked out nicely so we didn't have to worry about shuffling the boys to and from school and having a new baby.

I had to get tested for Covid on Monday, which wasn't fun but I survived.  They put a long q-tip up your nostril turning it back and forth for 10 seconds, though it feels like forever.  Everyone going to the hospital (inductions or C-Sections) have to be tested before coming in.  My results came back negative of course.

Piper watching Carter intensely as he put carrots in a baggy.  He and Nyles were playing "Adventure" and had their backpacks full of things.  Piper LOVES carrots needless to say.

Steve worked hard and put more mulch down around the flowers.

He also moved some of our Irises up to the back of the fence line above the retaining wall.  They've grown so well since we've been here, we need to thin them out.


Our pumpkin/squash plant and watermelon plant are both growing well, along w/ the tree that was broke.  Steve also helped our neighbor Ron put in some cement on Wednesday, August 19th.  There was extra cement so he put more in by our driveway to fill it in.

Putting in the cement by our driveway.  Ryan Brinkerhoff came to help for an hour as well.

Steve called around and got several neighbors to come help w/ Ron's patio as well (even though they don't know him).  With more people helping the work definitely went by quicker.  They had to haul the cement up their driveway (on a hill) in wheelbarrow fulls, then around to the back of their house.  From there they worked on filling it in and smoothing it out.

Jacob Anderson standing in the back, Ron Elmen in the bushes, Rich Mitchell by the tree, and Abe Ellis in the front kneeling.  His dad Scott Ellis came later to help as well.

Abe and Rich working around the tree.

Steve move the Irises around as he thinned them out and moved the Daisy over here which was previously where they put the new cement in.  Good work honey!

That night we took the boys over to Dave/Joann's to spend the night since we were going to be up early the next morning to be induced.  We ordered pizza and had a pizza party, had some fun, then got the boys ready for bed.  Carter showing off his twirling skills w/ a balloon.

Last family picture of just the 4 of us.

We also set up the crib again and the rest of the nursery.  I had my office in there before, but I decided to move it out, even though the baby was going to sleep in our room for a while.  It was one more thing to check off my "list" to complete before having the baby.

Great quote from our prophet.  
Speaking of "noble spirits" we were about to welcome another one into this world.


Thursday, August 20th we called Alta View Hospital at 7am to make sure they were ready for us.  They were, so we finished packing our stuff and drove over (only about 10 minutes away).  They checked us in and we got going.

Me ready to go or more like get this over with :)

My Dr came in around 8am and broke my water.  I was then hooked up to pitocin which helped get the contractions going.  Steve went to check on Piper and get some lunch, then when he got back I got my epidural around 12:30pm.  I started dilating much quicker after the epidural.  I had a strange reaction to the epidural this time though.  With Carter I didn't have any problems.  I actually took a nap while waiting to dilate w/ Carter, and when I woke up it was time to push.  This time though I got cold and shaky and I just couldn't relax, which didn't help my stress of course.  Thankfully I still dilated pretty quickly and my body was actually contracting on it's own, so they turned off the pitocin.  Around 3:30pm I was fully dilated, but had to wait for the Dr to arrive.  He came a little while later and I pushed.  Thankfully it only took about 3 full contractions of pushing and he was out.  Steve said the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck, so as I was pushing his heart rate was dropping, so it was good he came quickly on his own.  I always have a fear of needing a C-Section, so I'm grateful we didn't need to resort to that.  As we got him out and they laid him on me, I was SOOO RELIEVED he was finally here.  I cried with tears of joy (like I did with my other 2 boys), and said a silent prayer of thanks that he was here and healthy.  While they cleaned him up I got a few stitches where I tore, like the last two times.

Baby Hudson Lee McGrath was born Thursday, August 20th (8/20/2020) at 4:11pm at Alta View Hospital.  He weighed 8 lbs 3 oz and was 20 inches long.  He was perfect!

I'm grateful we were induced a week early as well since Hudson was over 8 lbs.  Carter was over 9lbs and we were induced 4 days early.  He tore me up the worse since he was so big, so I was hoping by having Hudson a week early he wouldn't be quite as big, which thankfully he wasn't!  

He's such a cutie!  Here comes picture overload.... :)

Dave and Joann took the boys over to check on Piper again that evening.

Reading books w/ Grandpa while they wait.

Steve then did a video call w/ them so the boys could meet Hudson.

They were so excited to finally see him!

Steve holding cute baby Hudson.  They asked us to wear masks whenever nurses/staff came in, but I couldn't breath very well once I started labor so I didn't wear mine.  Steve was good to wear his though.


So grateful he's here!

So precious!


Steve left that night around 7pm to go get the boys and take them home to sleep.  I kept Hudson in the room w/ me all night.  Due to Covid they didn't want babies out w/ others more than they needed to.  It was nice to have him close by, but I didn't get much sleep to say the least.  My epidural finally wore off before 9pm, so I could start getting up and moving.  I do hate the numbness from the epidural.

The next day Steve took the boys to his parent's house again, then came to be w/ me and Hudson.  We were thinking of coming home that day, but my blood pressure was really low, so they wanted to monitor it a while longer.

Steve holding cute baby Hudson.

Cute little toes.

Hudson got a bath the next day.  At first he wasn't sure if he liked it, but then he calmed down.

  

They served both Steve and I a steak dinner that night.  Unfortunately our steak wasn't done, so they ended up bringing us something else, which worked out well.

Dave and Joann brought the boys to come meet Hudson through the window since they still weren't allowing other visitors into the hospital due to Covid.

Getting a closer look through the window.

Steve holding up Hudson to the window so they could see him.  Silly Carter.

Joann, Nyles, Carter and Dave meeting Hudson through the window.

Cute toes again.

Friday night was even more rough then the 1st night.  Hudson kept wanting to feed every hour but he wasn't latching on very well (wouldn't open his mouth very wide).  My milk also hadn't come in yet so I felt like he wasn't getting enough either.  He kept crying and I felt like we weren't getting any where, and we especially weren't getting any sleep.  Finally around 2am I called the nurse in.  I had been praying what to do to help Hudson, and felt it was either his circumcision that was bothering him (it was done at 5pm that day), or he was hungry and wasn't getting enough food.  

As the nurse came in I told her what I was thinking and she let me know there was nothing we could do for the circumcision, but if I wanted I could offer him a bottle of either formula or donated breast milk.  She said it would take a while for her to warm up the breast milk (almost like she was discouraging me on using it or a bottle in general), but I really felt strongly that this is what he needed.  After she came back w/ the breast milk I gave him the bottle.  He hesitated at first, but then took it and drank half the milk.  15 minutes later he finished the rest of the bottle.  He and I then slept the rest of the morning until we were woken up from nurses.  

Though I've never had this problem w/ either of my other 2 boys, and the nurse was a little difficult, I'm glad I followed the promptings of the Spirit and was able to "solve" our problem per say.  I'm thankful for the guidance of the Holy Ghost in all aspects of our lives.  Joann told me when we got home the next day that she had this problem w/ Melanie.  They brought her home from the hospital and she kept crying and her milk hadn't come in either.  Her dad came over and told her she's hungry that's why she's crying.  So they went to the store and got formula, which she guzzled right down.  Problem solved!

Steve dropped off the boys again Saturday morning then came to the hospital to help me get checked out.  We finally left the hospital Saturday around noon after getting the okays from all the Drs.  It sure felt good to not only get out of my room (due to Covid they didn't want us walking the halls), but also get outside again.  There was smoke from fires in California making it look overcast but still, it was good to be outside.  

       The sun looked red almost due to the fires.  Cute Hudson in his car-seat on our way home finally!

Once we were home Dave/Joann brought the boys back home.  They were so excited to finally meet Hudson in person!  They wanted to hold him of course. 

Our 3 cute boys: Nyles, Carter and Hudson.  We love them sooo much!


I love my boys!



Grandma Joann holding baby Hudson.

Now Grandpa Dave.

Back to Nyles.  He loves to hold him!

Carter showing he's 4 years old :)

Piper checking Hudson out.

                                                       Piper's not sure what to think of him.
                   

Such a cutie!

The boys want to be right there w/ him, especially when he's awake.  They thought he might "play" a little more w/ them rather than just sleep, but we told them  he will soon enough!

We appreciate all your love and support even though we can't be together much due to Covid.  A special thanks to Dave and Joann for watching the boys while I was in the hospital.  Thanks so much.  We love your all!

We are so grateful to have Hudson in our home.  Like each of our boys, he brings a very special spirit w/ him.  Even though they are a lot of work, especially at first, they truly are a gift from our Heavenly Father.  We are so glad he's finally here!  We are a family of 5 now and he makes our family complete.  I'm also thankful to have paid maternity leave through December, and spend this precious time together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment