Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Steve's Graduation from the University of Utah

Sunday, April 28th--We had church and meetings like normal.  We went for a walk in the afternoon.  Nyles really enjoys his walks.  In the evening we invited the couple who we visit/home teach (Matt and Jenny Jenkins) over to play games.  They taught us how to play Hand and Pony, which is like Hand and Foot.  It was a lot of fun.

 He loves to eat his toes and socks on the way :) 




Tuesday, April 30th--We were asked to feed the missionaries.  Since I don't get home until about 6pm we told them that would be the earliest we could feed them.  We decided to make Hawaiian Haystacks since they're pretty easy to make.  Around 3:30pm Steve said they called him and asked if they could come at 5pm instead since they scheduled an appointment at 6pm.  He told them it wouldn't work since I wouldn't be home until 6pm so they ended up cancelling.  By this time Steve had already got the rice cooked up and the veggies cut up so we figured we just have leftovers for a while.  About this time Steve heard from Rob.  Steve told him about the situation and he said he'd be willing to help us out.  Soon Zach heard about it and he said he would just come stop by to say hi to us and Rob.  After I got home I got the last few things ready and got 3 plates out since Zach said he wasn't going to eat.  Next thing I knew he Zach was getting a plate and dishing himself up some.  Both he and Rob and seconds AND some dessert.  I made Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp the night before which we had w/ ice cream.  Well, I'm glad we made a lot, and I'm glad they could help us out to eat it ;)  After we got done w/ dinner we put Nyles down to bed, then I went out w/ Cara (my RS Secretary) and went around our complex to visit a few sisters.

Nyles just loving life, playing w a bucket and cup....they're more fun than toys you know ;)




Thursday, May 2nd--After I got home from work we went over to Macey's to get a few groceries, then came home to put Nyles to bed.  We then invited Dave and Melissa Thomas over to play Munchkin w/ us.  It's a game Steve learned how to play while on his mission in Canada.  Needless to say the boys liked it much more than we did.  At least I can finally say that I played it with him.  Next time we'll invite more men to play w/ him so it will be more "fun" for him ;)

Friday, May 3rd--I took the day off, which ironically worked out to be Steve's Graduation from the University of Utah.  He technically graduated December 2012 but this is the only commencement they have so they combine them all together.  It started at 9am at the Jon Huntsman's Center.  He had to be there at 8am so he left a little after 7am then Dave and Joann picked up Nyles and I just after 8am.  Zach Hannay also came w/ us.  Pauline, Charlotte, Rose and Sophia also met us there to watch his graduation.  Though it was only a few seconds for Steve to walk across the stage and have his name read, it was still nice to see him "officially" get his diploma.  He's worked so hard to get his degree.  I'm so proud of him!  We're one BIG step closer to being able to get into PA School.  He still has some prereqs that he needs to take between now and this time next year before he can apply but we're on our way.  One step at a time!

Steve ready for his graduation


Megan Williams and Steve, degrees in Health Education and Promotion 


Dave, Joann, Nyles and Zach

Nyles excited to see Daddy on the screen

Charlotte and Nyles

Nyles and Rose

Pauline and Nyles

Rose, Me, Pauline, Sophia and Charlotte

Steve, Nyles and I after graduation

Proud parents, Dave and Joann w/ Steve

Officially graduated ;)


After the graduation we decided to go back closer to our place to get together w/ the others for a hot dog roast.  There is a park just down the street from our place with a playground, a field, and a pavilion.  Dave brought his BBQ grill to the park so we could grill the hot dogs and then everyone else brought other things.  Kim and her kids, Stacie and her kids, LuDean, Melanie and Brandon all showed up to celebrate w/ us.  Rose wasn't feeling well after the graduation so she ended up going home, but Pauline came w/ Charlotte.  It was nice for the kids to be able to run around and make messes.  It was an easy clean up on our part plus people were able to come/go as they needed.

Once the graduation was over we took Nyles back home to take a nap.  He slept for a while then we decided to go to Cabela's so Steve could use his gift card he received from my parents for graduation.  Nyles enjoyed looking at the fish in the aquarium because they were moving around, more-so than the stuffed animals.  Steve of course found some more fishing stuff, a tackle box, pliers  hooks, sinkers, line and power-bait.
Steve and Nyles at Cabela's enjoying watching the fish


Nyles wasn't quite as impressed w/ the stuffed one who didn't move


When we got home got Nyles ready for bed, he was definitely ready.  Zach then called us up and wanted to know if we wanted to go up the canyon w/ him and Megan Williams and make s'mores.  We called Rob and he was willing to sit at the house w/ Nyles so we could go out.  It was a lot of fun.  Megan's friend also came and Zach's sister Sarah and her fiance Greg.  It was fun to get out and enjoy an hour or two by ourselves, like a real date ;)

Saturday, May 4th--Steve took Dave Thomas up to Strawberry to fish for his birthday and I stayed home and did laundry and cleaned up a bit.  Steve said they first went out on the kick boats but didnt' really catch anything, but then they just fished off the shore and were catching fish like crazy.  He said his new power-bait was really catching them.  They brought home several fish, which Dave took.  After Steve got home he hurry and showered and changed then went to a reception for Rob's younger brother Michael who got married in Manti the day before.  I put Nyles down so stayed w/ him.  There was an accident on I-215 on his way home so he got delayed a while.  We watched TV for a little bit and had popcorn after he got home.

Strawberry Lake


Sunday, May 5th--We went down to Orem for Carrie/Ryan to bless their little girl Lynsie (she was born in December).  The blessing went well, then we all went up to Melanie/Brandon's place in Draper for lunch.  Since it was Cinco De Mayo we had a taco bar and churros.  Nyles was getting cranky and tired after a while but luckily he fell asleep in his car-seat after rocking him a bit so we were able to help clean up.  It was a fun day.



No comments:

Post a Comment