Friday, May 10th--We decided to go up to the cabin w/ our neighbor's Dave and Melissa Thomas and my friend Eve Flake, her husband Darrell and little girl Breanna. Eve actually started work at Fidelity the same day I did back on November 12, 2007. We were in the same training classes and then on College Planning shortly after. Our first kids were born 9 days apart. Breanna was born on August 3rd and Nyles was on August 12th. It's been fun having someone to talk to (chat) at work and discuss how our babies are growing. She actually decided to quit work and stay home full time w/ Breanna, so May 7th was her last day. I've been missing her at work but am glad she can stay home w/ Breanna.
I was able to get off work at 3:30 pm on Friday since I had an hour of vacation left I needed to take plus I switched to a 1/2 hr lunch. It was really nice getting off so early. This gave me time to get home, feed Nyles and finish packing. We all met in Heber at Artic Circle, where we got some dinner. We got up there in good time then put the kids to bed. We then put on Star Trek (the new one) and almost finished it before we got too tired and all went to bed.
Pics of the cabin/Strawberry
The next morning after breakfast everyone went down to the shore to fish. Nyles and Breanna just went down for a nap so I stayed at the cabin in case they woke up or needed something.
Breanna and Nyles
The kids woke up about the time they all came in for lunch. We had lunch together then we decided to go back down to the gulley and fish some more. It was pretty sunny, which was nice, but the babies didn't really like the sun in their eyes. We stayed for a while then went back to the cabin so they could take another nap.
The Flakes, Darrel, Breanna and Eve
Melissa fishing
Steve and Dave getting ready to fish again
Steve fishing
Nyles and I
They caught quite a few fish. We made tin foil dinners that night for dinner and Steve cooked up the fish on the BBQ as appetizers (for those that like fish).
Melissa and Dave enjoying the fish
Nyles enjoying his graham crackers
Nyles admiring the duck Steve shot several years ago
After dinner that night we played games and had a great time laughing and enjoying each other's company. The next morning we had breakfast they packed up, cleaned up and headed back home for church. Eve and Darrell had church at 9am so they left first, then the rest of us followed shortly after.
On about Thursday or Friday Steve got a call from the 1st Counselor in the Branch Presidency asking if Steve and I could give our testimonies in sacrament meeting. We had already planned to go to the cabin but figured we'd be back for Mother's Day anyway. When we got to church however they had us in the programs as giving talks. They had another couple speak before us on Mother's Day also. The sister had just given birth to their first baby boy 2 months before. Ironically a month or so before this the Branch President asked if I thought it was a good idea to have new mother's speak on Mother's Day. I said it was ok but I think we'd rather have the day "off." Well I guess things worked out. The message that the other sister shared was beautiful and I heard others really enjoyed my message as well. I shared a few quotes from Sister Beck, then read this poem. It made me cry, still does (hence why I didn't think it was a good idea to have me speak).
"Before I was a Mom"
Before I was a Mom -
I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into bed. I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.
Before I was a Mom -
I
cleaned my house each day. I never tripped over toys or forgot words to
a lullaby. I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous. I
never thought about immunizations.
Before I was a Mom -
I had
never been puked on - Pooped on - Spit on - Chewed on, or Peed on. I had
complete control of my mind and My thoughts. I slept all night.
Before I was a Mom -
I
never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests...or
give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got
gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night
watching a baby sleep.
Before I was a Mom -
I never held a
sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down. I never felt my
heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I
never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never
knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being
a Mom.
Before I was a Mom -
I
didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't
know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know that
bond between a mother and her child. I didn't know that something so
small could make me feel so important.
Before I was a Mom -
I
had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make
sure all was okay. I had never known The warmth, The joy, The love, The
heartache, The wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom. I didn't
know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom.
After church we went over to LuDean's for dinner to celebrate Mother's Day. It was nice chatting w/ everyone and just enjoying one another's company.
Mother's Day cards we gave
Nyles was mostly cooperative (though we only got one hand and foot from him ;)
Playing w/ cousin Conor
Nyles playing w/ Grandma McGrath

No comments:
Post a Comment