Happy New Year!!!! I can't believe it's January already. Where did December go? This month was full of lots of things, so I'd better get caught up. This might be long.....so here it goes.
On December 2nd we had our McGrath family Jerusalem Dinner. This year we had it at Melanie and Brandon's house. We had food that Jesus might have eaten, per say. More so finger food like nuts, lamb, crackers, cheese, grapes, etc. After the meal we all go into the living room and have a testimony meeting. We eat go around and share our testimonies one at a time. The first person lights their candle, but this year we used glow sticks instead since there are so many small children, then after they are done we go to the next person and light their candle. Then when we are done the room is lit up with the light from the candle/glow sticks. Symbolically as we share our testimonies we can share our light with others and spark their testimonies as well. It was a really neat testimony meeting. I felt like this year the testimonies were really heartfelt. A couple things I shared my testimony about were:
- I've recently had the opportunity to go w/ the missionaries to teach some investigators and it reminded me again of how blessed we are to have the Gospel. We are so fortunate to have the truth from the Gospel that I think many times we forget how precious that knowledge is. I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and from God and that through our Savior we can again return to live w/ our Heavenly Father. This is the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. We have a living prophet again on the earth to lead us and guide us in these latter days.
- In sacrament meeting we had a local choir come and sing different songs during the meeting. One of them was "Breath of Heaven" by Amy Grant. You can listen/watch it here. After being pregnant and delivered a son, I've thought more about what it would have been like to be Mary carrying Jesus. I realize how hard pregnancy can be on a woman. I can't imagine what it would have been like to carry a child and travel on a donkey, then deliver a child in a stable. She was an incredible woman to carry "the load" she did. I am thankful for Mary and her role in bringing Christ to the world so he could do his part and save us from sin and death. The words also hit me as she says, "Do you wonder as you watch my face, if a wiser one should have had my place, But I offer all I am." I know this is a different context but it reminds me of what a huge responsibility it is to not only bear a child but especially to raise one these days. I so want to be a good mother for Nyles and raise him well "in a world as cold as stone." I feel so blessed to have one of our Heavenly Father's precious spirits in our home and for the opportunity to raise him. We love him sooooo much and can't imagine life without him!
That Friday, December 7th we had our Branch Christmas Party. The Relief Society was in charge of it again. I took the day off to make sure we'd get everything done in time. Since we did it the year before we had a head start on what we needed and how to get things done. I felt like we were a lot more organized and knew what to do, but unfortunately since we had so many people leave this summer we didn't have nearly as much help as we did the year before. I felt we basically pulled it off by ourselves, that RS Presidency that is. Our "committee" all bailed on us last minute so I hurried and called some sisters who are reliable and thankfully they helped out, which was much appreciated. We'll definitely want to make some changes for next year if we're in charge again. The RS shouldn't have to do it all by themselves. Those who attended though said they enjoyed themselves and felt the Spirit of Christ, which was what we were wanting. I was just so busy w/ the food getting it out and ready that I didn't get to enjoy the program. We'll have to change that for next year also so everyone, even those who help, get to enjoy it more. Since we barely had enough food last year I planned for more and we had plenty of food this time. We had so much ham, funeral potatoes and salad left over that we decided to hold a munch and mingle on Sunday so we could get rid of it.
Carrie, Steve's older sister, was induced on Saturday, December 8th and had her little girl Lyndsie Lee Hammett. We went and visited her on Sunday after church and the mingle. She has a lot of hair and looks a lot like her dad ;)
Me, Nyles and his cousin Lynsie
The next week Steve was busy w/ getting finished with all his finals and projects. It was a REALLY busy, stressful week for both of us, we we are very happy to get it behind us. Steve did such a great job balancing all his classes and responsibilities this semester. He had 25 credits this semester plus with having Nyles at the beginning of the semester and ended up getting only 2 B-'s and the rest well A's. I'm very proud of him!!! He's officially done w/ his Bachelor's Degree, now the plan is to finish his prereqs for PA school then apply.
On Friday the 14th I took the day off. I had a Dr appt first then we went to have Nyles' 4 month appointment. He weighed 14.55 pounds and was 24.21 inches long, average. He then got some more shots, which he didn't like so much. But thankfully with some Tylenol he was doing much better. That night we went and hung out w/ some neighbors in the branch. It was fun to spend time w/ them outside of church.
He sure loved the crinkle paper though; it was so much fun to stomp his feet on. ;)
The next morning it was snowing crazy, but we met my parents, Rose and Pauline's family at IHOP off 21st south for breakfast. My parents were down here for my mom's family Christmas party. It was fun to see them and get together, even for a short time. Nyles is sure getting more interested in food, but not quite ready to start solids. We'll most likely wait until he's 6 months old to officially start solids.
Breakfast at IHOP w/ Mom, Dad, Rose, Pauline, Chris and Charlotte
Nyles wanted a waffle too ;)
The next week we mainly were getting ready for Christmas. After work on Friday the 21st Steve picked me up and we headed up to Idaho. We went up to Centerville and got something to eat while I fed Nyles, then got on the road again. Thankfully Nyles slept pretty much the whole time so we made good time. We got there a little after ten, got Nyles to bed, then got ourselves to bed.
Pretty sunset in Bruneau
Pauline, Chris and Charlotte came up the next day. Steve went out w/ my dad and Daron to hunt coyotes the next morning also. While they were gone I went over to visit Marla and Margie. I forgot to go over the last time we were up. They wanted to see Nyles. It was fun to chat for a while. Chris, Steve and my Dad went out again that afternoon to call some more coyotes. That night we had dinner w/ Grandma Hegerhorst and got to visit w/ her also.
The "hunters"
Sunday we had church, then that night we had our annual Hegerhorst Christmas Party. We had it at the church this time since we are getting so big. We had dinner, our program, then did our white elephant exchanges. Our whole family was there except Rose and her girls. Anna of course was there. It's nice now that she lives much closer.
Nyles loving life in his cute Christmas outfit from Aunt Diane
The next morning Steve went out w/ my dad to call in some more coyotes. We then went over to my grandma's for breakfast w/ Daron/Kristi and their kids, Marla, Mark, Margie, Katie and my Aunt Elaine and Uncle Rick. Elaine and Rick made us all breakfast, eggs Benedict. We then looked up the weather and it was snowing the whole way, so we decided not to leave until the next day. Since we weren't going anywhere, we decided to go back to mom and dad's and played a couple games w/ Kristi and the kids. While we did that Steve and my dad went out and called coyotes again. We then drove up to Mtn Home to get a few last minute things for Christmas. That night we played games then Charlotte and Nyles acted out the Christmas story. Charlotte was Mary and Nyles was baby Jesus. They were so cute.
Aunt Muffin getting Nyles to giggle on the way to town
Charlotte as Mary and Nyles as baby Jesus
On Christmas morning we all got up and opened some gifts, then had breakfast and packed up. My mom was planning to come down to Utah to visit her mom since she wasn't doing too well, health wise. Pauline and my dad decided to go over to Daron's house for lunch.
Opening gifts
Our borrowed Christmas stockings since we didn't bring anything w/ us
My dad w/ Maggie, aka Sienna (Steve's brother Jeff's old dog)
Nyles helping me w/ my presents
I went to work Wednesday and Thursday, but decided to take Friday and Monday off. We ended up opening our gifts Wednesday after work. Steve went and got a new Carhartt coat that he's been wanting, and I ordered a camera from my perk points at work. Some of these pictures are from it though I'm still learning how to use it. It was fun having Nyles to share Christmas with.
Nyles new crinkle book and Elmo toy from Christmas
Nyles new trick grabbing his toes ;)
Friday night my dad came down w/ Anna and her boys. They stayed at Dave and Joann's house. Steve and I made chicken and steak fajitas for dinner then root beer floats for dessert. We also played a game of Apples to Apples while the boys played down stairs.The next morning we had the funeral in Highland at 11am. The funeral was really nice. She was a very special woman who showed a lot of compassion and love towards others. We are definitely blessed to have had her in our lives. The more I learn about her the more I learn where my mom got a lot of her wonderful traits ie compassion, love, service, great cook, loves kids, sewing skills, etc. After the funeral we went to the burial grounds where her grave was dedicated. We then went to another church where they had food prepared for us, which was really good.
Mom w/ her all brothers and sisters at burial grounds
They all arrived in a limo
Me, Wade, Kristi and Daron
The program for funeral
Grandma and Grandpa Buhler
Pauline, Nyles and I after the funeral
All dressed in purple :)
Mom and her kids (except Barbara)
Monday Steve went fishing w/ Dave Thomas and Zach Hanney up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Needless to say they got cold, but caught fish so they had fun. After he got back we got ready and went to LuDean's house for the New Year's Eve party her and Diane were putting on, Mexican Theme. We had tacos and played bingo. Nyles was tired by this time so I went down stairs and fed him and got him to go to sleep. After everyone else had left we played the Ticket to Ride again w/ Rob Daniels. It's pretty fun, though we're all still getting used to the new rules.
Nyles enjoying the Party w/ Great Grandma LuDean
Pinata time
Happy New Year! May we all do better this year that last! ;)

























No comments:
Post a Comment