Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Time

Christmas has come and gone again........crazy I know! But the good news is that New Year's is around the corner bringing 2011 with it!

The week up to Christmas was a little crazy, but it was worth it afterwards being able to just relax and be w/ family. On the 18th we had our Branch Christmas Brunch, which I made a breakfast casserole for. We had a pretty good turn out and all who came definitely benefited. Steve had to work, so he missed out. Once it was over, I ran some errands, then went out to my sister Rose's house where my parents and other sister Pauline were. My parents came down for my mom's side of the family's Christmas Party, and while down she of course visited us 3 girls living down here. After I got there, we went to Rose's ward's Christmas Party (I know 2 in 1 day), got some food, then left. We then went and played games for a while, then I went home.

The next day Steve and I had early morning meetings. We then had a quick munch and mingle, then I had a quick meeting w/ my presidency. After a quick nap, we got things in order for my parents to arrive later that evening, then went over to Steve's Grandma's for our "Jerusalem Dinner." This is a great tradition that Steve's family started around Christmas time about 10 years ago. I guess it started shortly after his oldest sister Melanie got married. A companion from Brandon's mission (Mel's husband) showed him the tradition, which he then showed Steve's family. The tradition is basically this: you sit on the floor or blanket and eat only finger foods, foods that would be found at the time of Christ like cheese, bread, broths, etc. As we eat we have the lights off and eat by candlelight. After we eat, we blow out the candles, then we go around the room allowing each person to give thanks for the year and bear testimony of Christ. When that person is done, they light their candle, and then will light the next person when they are done and so on, until everyone gets to share their thoughts and testimony and the room is lit up. The purpose is to reflect on the past year, and realize the simple things we are thankful for in our lives, and not just the worldly possession we have. Most importantly, it's a time to hear each other bear testimony of Christ. It's a great tradition, even though I end up crying ;)

As soon as it was over, we hurried home to meet my parents. They had been visiting my dad's uncle Walter and then planned to stay w/ us for the night. I then made some of my mom's yummy Carmel Popcorn and played some games. Around 10 pm Steve took my dad to his friend's Rob's house so his dad could look at my dad's foot. My dad's foot has been hurting him for sometime and Rob's dad just so happens to be a foot doctor. After looking it over he decided that he should get a shot to help w/ the pain and to help the healing process. So Tuesday morning before they went home, Steve met them at my Uncle Stephen's house and took them to Rob's dad's office. There he got some shots in his foot, and Steve also gave him a tetanus shot. Pretty impressive for my dad considering he doesn't like shots but was willing to get 2 in one day!!! He must have really been in pain. My dad said Steve did a great job and he didn't even feel it!!

While they were gone I printed some tickets for them to attend the BYU Art Exhibit of Carl Bloch. I figured since they were going to Provo the next morning to be w/ Pauline, they my as well as stop by. They went Monday morning, then I drove down that evening and went w/ Eve. It was amazing needless to say!!! If you haven't gone yet you need to!!! I just LOVED the pictures and the interpretations of the way he painted things. We were there from 8-9 pm until it closed and I'm sure we could have been in there another hour. There is so much to see. They actually got permission to move the original paintings from Denmark so we could see them in person. A rare opportunity for sure!!! It's a spiritual experience for sure. He truly was inspired in his paintings. Here's a link to ksl where you can learn more and register for tickets. The tickets are free but you need to reserve them before you go. Check it out!
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=910&sid=13102366

Besides that, Steve and I also went and visited some people in the branch. I also made plates of cookies and we dropped them off to people we visit and home teach. We of course had several plates of cookies and treats left for us too. The only problem is trying to eat them all :)

On the 23rd, Steve met me downtown for our date night and to celebrate our 2nd Anniversary. Steve had a gift card for Macaroni Grill, so we went there for dinner. To be honest it wasn't the best experience, but the waiter was nice and brought us free chocolate cake for dessert since it was almost our anniversary. Olive Garden is still our favorite; we'll probably go there closer to our anniversary since the food wasn't that great. The rest of the evening was amazing though! We then went to the SLC Temple and did some initiatories, then walked around Temple Square, looked at the lights and viewed the visitors centers. The new exhibit of the SLC Temple is amazing! You can see what the rooms look like inside the temple. It's in the South Visitors Center in case you wanted to go look. Here's a link on ksl to see what it looks like.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=10952281&nid=148

Steve and I walking around looking at the lights......trying not to freeze ;)

Christmas Eve Steve had to work until 6pm, then we went over to his Grandma's for dinner. Dave and Joann picked me up and we rode over together. We had dinner, then played games and visited. It was fun and enjoyable to just relax and spend time w/ them. Steve and I then went home and stayed up watching "The Christmas Story."

On Christmas morning we slept in, then opened our presents. I then made biscuits and gravy (one of Steve's newest favorites since my mom makes it every time we go up). After getting cleaned up, we went over to Steve's parents to say hi. Most of his siblings were there, so we chatted w/ them for a while, then headed out to Rose's for dinner/lunch. We got there just before 5pm, had dinner, then just relaxed. The boys (or should I say men) played video games while us women played some board games. It was a lot of fun! Thanks everyone ;)

Silly Bailey wanted to help......so she sat on the wrapping paper to make sure it wouldn't get away ;)
Our new clock from Dave and Joann....fits right in!!!

Steve and I after a great Christmas day w/ our families!

Yesterday after church we went back over to Dave and Joann's and played games with them. I made my mom's Carmel Popcorn again. I think they liked it! Bojam loves my mom's Carmel Popcorn, yummmm!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment