Steve and I at Cornbelly's on a group date
This year Steve and I have both been busy with school and work. I took another 5 classes working towards my MBA. I have 6 more to complete so I'll probably take 5 in 2011 and my last one in 2012 since I only get reimbursed up to 5 classes (that way I don't have to pay for it myself and can have a break at least once during the year). In September I also started a new position at work called Retirement Solutions. I was in training for a couple weeks learning how to use the Institutional software. So now I actually have 2 monitors, 1 for the Institutional side and 1 for the retail side. I use both every day, mainly helping people open IRA accounts and rolling over their old employer plans to the IRA. I actually like it a lot more than my last position and have enjoyed learning the new systems and information. We also had a campaign for 8 weeks, which I ended up #1 in Salt Lake City!!!
Steve finished his Medical Assisting this summer with his internship at an InstaCare. They then said that they wouldn't be hiring, but after 2 months they offered him a part time job. It ended up working really well with his school schedule. He works Monday and Friday nights from 3 or 4 till 10 p.m. Though it stinks that we don't get to see each other much on those evenings, we're glad he's able to get more experience and the little extra income helps us to save more for further schooling. Steve just finished up his last finals to complete his Associates Degree, yeah!!! Though he completed both his Medical Assistant Certificate and Associates, he's going to continue to take classes. Right now his next goal is to get into a Registered Nurse program so he's going to take his prerequisites, chemistry and college biology, next semester while still working part time at the InstaCare.
Steve's coworker Brandi drawing his blood (in his MA classes)

She was actually the only one able to draw his blood

Steve trying to get more blood into his arms.....or is he pretending to be Elvis ? ;)

In terms of callings, Steve is still our Branch Mission Leader but will likely get a new calling after the new year. November 14th I was called to be our new Relief Society President for our branch. I was pretty surprised by the call (considering we just went in to get our temple recommends renewed), but the Lord has been blessing me in my new position. It's definitely a huge time commitment, but I've been able to find time to accomplish everything that required of me at work, home and for my calling. We're still getting organized in every aspect or the call, but with the Lord's help I know we'll be able to do well and bless the lives of the sisters in our branch.
Besides work and school, Steve and I have tried to have some fun as well. In May we went on a 6 day trip down the Grand Canyon. Steve has been wanting to go since he went after his high school graduation, so we took the opportunity when it arose. We had a lot of fun! We were both completely amazed by the beauty IN the canyon instead of ABOVE the canyon. There is wildlife and plant life that we had no idea about. We also went on hikes around in the canyons; so pretty!
In the canyon after a killer hike!
After hiking up Little Bell Reservoir
We also have been trying to spend more time with both of our families. We went up to the cabin many times and also to visit my parents. Steve really enjoys going w/ my dad and brothers to hunt or fish. My dad even bought him a coyote call for his birthday!
Rob, Steve and my dad after hunting
Steve and I at the cabin
Dave, Rob, Joann, and Steve playing pig pile at the cabin (poor Stevie is losing)
Dave and Steve showing off their catch
The whole family (my side) at Grandma's 80th B-day party
We both has surgery on our sinuses/adenoids to help clear up our breathing and to help prevent us from getting sick so often. We both had pretty quick recovers so we're thankful for that.
We've also been making some updates on our condo here and there, which are looking great. most importantly, we have a fireplace now for our Christmas stockings, yeah! We plan to live here at least another 2 years. We'll see what happens.
Our fireplace Steve and Rob built
My parents and us after Thanksgiving decorating their tree
We hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Love,
Steve and Penny McGrath :)
Penny! I loved your newsletter. Wow, RS President?! That is a big calling. I know you're up to it. The branch is lucky!
ReplyDeleteI'm also glad I found your blog!
Merry Christmas!