Wednesday, September 9, 2026

First week of September

On Monday, August 31st, I had a funny experience.  I was working from home and thought it would be easy to take Carter and Hudson to get their cavities filled before school (since Steve was working). Their appointment was at 8:30 AM.  We had to pick up a special sedative medication for Hudson on Saturday. We grabbed the prescription and made it to the office on time—only for me to realize the medication was missing.  After a frantic search of the car, we rushed back home, convinced I’d left it on the counter. I looked all over the house, but found nothing. Finally, Hudson discovered it hiding under the passenger seat the whole time! We raced back to the dentist, now 10 minutes late.  At first, they told me they’d have to reschedule Carter, but thankfully, the dental hygienist stepped in and said both boys could still get their teeth fixed.

After Carter went into his appointment, I waited with Hudson until he was called back. They gave Hudson his medicine, and a short while later, brought him to the treatment room to get started. I sat in the chair right next to him as they began the numbing process. I could tell he was pretty uncomfortable, which triggered my usual reaction—I started feeling faint. I tried to distract myself, but the lightheadedness grew so intense that I actually had to lie down on the floor to keep from passing out. I stayed there, hot and dizzy, the entire time his cavity was being filled.

Once he was finished, I thought the worst of it had passed. We walked out to the reception desk to pay, but the lightheadedness rushed right back. I had to sit down immediately and hand my credit card to Carter so he could take care of the bill. The moment the receptionist confirmed we were completely done, I hurried outside to finally get some fresh air.

I started getting lightheaded again, so I rushed to the car and threw the seat back with the windows open. I felt so sick to my stomach that I had Carter scramble to find a bag. Luckily we had one, because I completely lost it and threw up a few times. Once the worst passed, I drove us home. The kids were still so numb and sore from their cavity fillings that I skipped dropping them at school. They stayed home all day for the numbing to wear off, while I worked from home the rest of the day and felt totally fine after that.

The moral of the story: 1) I am officially retiring from taking the kids to get fillings. 2) Schedule dental work for the end of the school day. They aren't going back to class with numb mouths! Lesson learned. 😅

Carter all numbed up after the dentist.  Hudson by his picture he drew of himself at school.   Steve and I went to the Jordan River Temple and did sealings.

Tate, Hudson, and Taft playing in the mud one night after it rained.
Cute Hudson w/ his craft he made in Kindergarten.

Thursday night, Steve took the boys to go swimming at Jeff's community pool.
Dave, Joann, and Diane met them there also.

They all got in to swim except Steve.

They had a good time.


On Saturday, Steve and Nyles went to cut more trees down for firewood.  
While they were gone, Hudson, Carter, and I went on a hike to Little Bell.

We found some cute ducks in the reservoir.

It was so beautiful up there.

So pretty.

Carter and Hudson on a big rock.

Carter went to a free street hockey clinic outside the new Utah Mammoth facility in Sandy.  
He got another T-shirt.  We went inside and watched the ice cleaner for a minute.

Nyles fell asleep on the way home from cutting down trees.  
Carter and the group played a scrimmage game at the end.

We were going to eat at Texas Roadhouse after Carter's clinic, but it was too busy, so we went over to Chili's instead.  We wanted to celebrate Nyles and Hudson's birthdays.  They came and sang Happy Birthday to them and they got some free ice cream.


Nyles wrist was hurting so Steve took him to the Dr.  They did X-rays, and it showed he had sprained his wrist.  The Dr. told him to wear a brace for a while and not to do rock climbing for at least a week.

On Sunday evening, we headed over to the clubhouse at Dave and Joann’s for family dinner. It ended up being a small group—just us, Dave/Joann, Diane, and Melanie’s family. Joann set up a really fun guessing game about everyone's past jobs, which was a huge hit! After cleaning up, we helped unpack some things at Dave and Joann's place. Before heading home, Hudson asked for a Priesthood blessing for his toothache, and Nyles asked for one for his wrist, too. I'm so grateful for Dave and Steve to give them both blessings.

Another firewood sale on the porch.  Diane and Nyles w/ their wrist braces.  Beautiful sunset.

Great quotes:




No comments:

Post a Comment