Monday, December 23, 2013

December Fun


Here's a quick update on the past couple weeks of December.

On Sunday, December 8th we went up to Centerville to celebrate Lynsie's first birthday (Carrie/Ryan's little girl).  We had cake and ice cream and visited w/ each other.  Ryan's mother gave Lynsie a car to play with.  All the cousins just LOVED it, Nyles especially.  He couldn't get enough of it.  He kept going back to play with it, even if someone else was in it.  He wouldn't make a fuss or anything but just open the car door and climb in w/ them.  


Nyles playing w/ London

Nyles sitting on Cameron's lap (Cameron w/ there first)

Nyles just kicking it before leaving for the night


At work we did a Sub for Santa family with the team I’m on loan with.  We had a single mom w/ 2 kids ages 9 and 10 (boy and girl).  Since we got the family information right before Black Friday, I suggested we look online and do most of our shopping.  Since all but one on this team are all boys, they’d rather just give money and be done with it per say.  I volunteered to shop online and see if we could make our money stretch.  Kohl’s was having a really nice sale so I was able to get their wish list items and then some.  We also got Kohl’s cash back so we were able to get even more stuff for them the next week.  I also found roller-blades and Toys R’Us for the boy and was able to pick them up at the store in Murray the same day.  I also went and got stockings and candy for them. 
This Tuesday during our team meeting we wrapped all the gifts and then delivered them the next day.  We were able to give them $300 in gift cards and $400 in clothes, toys, and household necessities.  I hope they have a very Merry Christmas!  It was really neat to work together as a team and think of others this time of year to make their day better.  It felt great to help someone out.  I also felt blessed to be able to use the Internet and find good deals in order to make our money go further for them.   This was a great opportunity for me and reminded me of why I love this time of year.   It definitely is better to give than receive.
Sunday, December 15th, I taught the lesson in Relief Society.   They said I could teach any of the last 3 lessons since we were technically on the last lesson from President Lorenzo Snow.  At first I thought I’d choose one of the other ones, but kept going back to lesson 22: Doing Good to Others.  I felt w/ Christmas next week it was a good reminder why we have Christmas and how we can give service to others.  It was a good reminder for me to on gifts we can give others.  It doesn’t always have to be a physical gift, it can also be an intangible gift.  
Here's some practical advice to help you find your ideal Christmas. Simplify the season and you may find that for every minute you spend here, you'll get 10 minutes back to enjoy this holiday more fully.

Top 15 Ideas for Christmas

  • Give someone an eCard this Christmas.
  • Replace some holiday decorations in your home with reminders of Christ.
  • Play more Christmas music. Find Christmas music here, the Tabernacle Choir YouTube page and on the Mormon Channel. 
  • Donate gently used items to a thrift store.
  • Go Christmas caroling.
  • Avoid “mad rush” shopping times.
  • Say thank you as often as possible.
  • Schedule a night to help another person or family.
  • Call someone you normally wouldn't to wish him or her a Merry Christmas.
  • Delegate some holiday preparations to children or other family members.
  • Simplify a traditional activity.
  • Find quiet time to pray.
  • Write down great memories as they happen.
  • Set and stick to a holiday budget.
  • Forgive a grudge.
    Here's a cute video I showed as well

Monday, December 16th, we invited the couple we home teach over for a movie, Monster’s University.  I made some white cheddar popcorn and brownies and we watched it.  It was really cute!
On Tuesday, December 17th, we had Rob come over so we could go to the temple.  We put Nyles down to bed then went to the Draper Temple since the Jordan River was closed for cleaning.  We worked on family names (initiatories) which Rose found.  I don’t know if it was the fact that I was doing family names of the sisters in the temple were more chipper due to Christmas being close, but everyone was so happy and the Spirit was strong.  I did the 3 female names Rose gave me then did 5 from the temple.  It wasn’t very busy and I was enjoying being there so much I wanted to keep doing more.  I felt so uplifted and welcome; I just wanted to stay longer.  Unfortunately Steve didn’t have the same experience.  He said he was the only one on the men’s side, but after he got done w/ 5 family names they said he couldn’t do anymore and they were closing up.  He had 8 family names to do so I figured he’d do them all and I could do 8 also.  He ended up waiting for me about 30 minutes.  I’m glad I was able to do all of the names though.  It was a really neat experience.
Steve and I have now officially gone every month his year to the temple! Our branch had a goal to go every month, so we embraced it.  It’s not always easy, especially with a baby, but I know it’s possible when we set our priorities and MAKE time for the temple, things will work out.  We also read the entire Book of Mormon together this year!  We actually finished a while ago and have been listening again to the General Conference talks together (I think we’ve just about got through them all as well).  This was another goal we had this year.  Hearing the scriptures and prophets, especially first thing in the morning has really helped me to feel uplifted and ready for the day.  The last goal we had was to attend our church meetings weekly. I’d say we also met this goal, except when we were sick or visiting others.  I know when we go to the cabin we only go to sacrament meeting, but I’d like to make a goal to go to all 3 hours even when on vacation per say.  This will be something we can work on for 2014. 
Wednesday, December 18th Steve picked me up from work and we went over to temple square to see the lights.  It was cold outside of course, but not nearly as cold as it has been.  Most mornings the past couple weeks it has been about 7 degrees, brr!  We bundled up Nyles and got to walk around to see the lights.  It was really pretty and peaceful.  We then stopped and got a bite to eat on the way home.  It was a fun family outing.
Enjoying the lights at Temple Square









No comments:

Post a Comment