Thursday, October 24, 2013

October Changes

First things first, for those of you who haven't heard I was released on Sunday as the Midvalley 11th Branch Relief Society President.  President Pantuso called me into his office last Sunday the 13th before during Sunday School and asked to talk to me.  Steve wasn't there though since he had run home right after Sacrament meeting to put Nyles down for a nap.  Thankfully he came home when he did though because some time in between when he left at about 10:45am and about 12:15pm our water heater started to leak.  Steve heard a noise in the closet where the water heater was and soon found out that water was leaking through a very small hole in the pipe.  Luckily he was home and was able to replace the pipe and fix the leak.  While he was busy doing that President let me know that the time had come for me to be released.

Next month it would have been 3 years.  My secretary moved about a month ago and I was asking for a 3rd Counselor instead, but I guess instead of doing so they felt just releasing us was best.  My 1st Counselor, Laura Minson, served w/ me the whole 3 years, whereas I've had four 2nd Counselors: Tricia Baker, Ashley Dunkelberger, Patricia Lott, and Stephanie Christensen.   For Secretaries I've have Heidi Pearson and most recently Cara Short.  Since Stephanie has only been serving since May the new RS President is actually going to keep her on.  Ironically she took 2 sisters that were serving in the Primary Presidency so now the Primary President needs to fill those spots.  While I'm listing things, I've also served w/ 3 different Branch Presidents and 3 different Elder's Quorum Presidents.  I can't remember all the visiting teaching supervisors/coordinators I've called, RS teachers, compassionate service leaders, welfare leaders, other rs meetings leaders, assistants, and rs committee members over the past 3 years.  In addition to all of the other leaders and other callings we've changed while I was serving in the Relief Society.  Needless to say we've had a lot of change in the branch in a relatively short period of time.

It's still crazy for me to think that I served for 3 of the 4 years we've lived in our condo and in the branch.  Especially considering we've only been married for less than 5 years now.  Time sure has flown by.  I'll have to admit that the first year serving as the Relief Society President wasn't easy.  There sure was a HIGH learning curve involved.  I have definitely learned a great deal about what the Relief Society is and what we are made of.  There is a lot of areas that encompass the RS, all of which are very important.  I know my testimony has been strengthened by the opportunity I had to be able to serve the sisters in our branch.  I hope I was able to help others grown spiritually and strengthen their own testimonies in the Gospel.  I know mine has.  I've also learned how to communicate w/ others better, how to listen better, how to be more compassionate and understanding, and how to follow the promptings of the Spirit more clearly.

There were many times that I felt I was inadequate to be in this position, but time and time again I felt His strength lift me up and be able to do more.  I have a testimony of this.  "The Lord will help us in our callings, especially when we feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities. When we pray to Heavenly Father for guidance, He will direct us through inspiration and will bless us to serve well. The Lord helps those who serve Him and will add His power to their efforts (seeD&C 84:88). As President Thomas S. Monson promised, “When we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help. Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.”

I can think of multiple examples of times I was prompted to call/text someone for reasons I didn't know.  The sisters I called who served w/ me also were an amazing strength to me and helped lighten the burden per say that I was called to bear.  I know my counselors would ask many times what else they could do to help but I would tell them that others were helping.  As they say, "many hands make light work."  As we all served together we had a great unity and we were able to look after one another.

I know personally that we were also blessed.  At work I was able to get better positions which first allowed me not to have to work on Sundays, and second of all it allowed a little more pay in order to help pay for Steve's schooling.  This was especially true as he started at the University of Utah which is more than double what Salt Lake Community College costs.  When I look back to these past 3 years the first thing I know is that we were supposed to buy this condo in order to be in this branch and for the opportunity I was given to serve as the RS President.  I'm not sure how we were able to balance everything but Steve finished his Bachelor's Degree, I finished my Master's Degree and we had Nyles last year.  It's been a little tricky at times, but we've always been able to find a balance in order to get it all accomplished.  I know the Lord has definitely blessed us to be able to financially support ourselves, continue/finish our educations, start a family, and still maintain our home life and spend time together.

This past week has been full of mixed emotions.  I'm sad to not be serving as the President anymore, but at the same time it's a huge relief and weight off my shoulders.  President Pantuso had Steve and I come into his office last Thursday w/ Laura/Brett and Stephanie.  We talked about our feelings and expressed our gratitude for serving.  I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to serve and know the Lord has helped me to become a better person.  I know that I'll have other opportunities to serve and the skills I've learned while serving as the RS President will surely come in handy.  I'm enjoying this week of not having to go to meetings and what not, but I'm also looking forward to getting a new calling and serving again.

It worked out really well not having to go to meetings this week, for the reason that Pauline had Ezra this Monday, the 21st.  Steve ironically didn't have class on Wednesday so we decided to go down and visit them and the new baby.  Since I wasn't in a meeting or doing visits Tuesday either, I offered to make dinner for Pauline and her family.  I put a pork roast in the crockpot and made funeral potatoes and pumpkin-gingerbread.  Steve picked up some rolls and we brought green beans as well.  Steve picked me up from work on Wednesday at 4:30 (since I get off early Mon/Wed so I can get home for Steve to go to class), then we went down to Provo to visit them.  Pauline had just gotten home at noon and was just settling in.  We brought dinner and then ate together and visited.  We left at about 7pm to get Nyles back home to bed and hopefully for them to get some sleep soon too.  It was really fun to visit them.  We're so excited for their new addition and we know Nyles will love having another boy cousin about his age.  He's so sweet, we love him already! ;)

Now a family of four
(Pauline, Chris, Charlotte, and Ezra)
 









No comments:

Post a Comment