Monday, August 26, 2013

August Fun


I can't believe August is almost over.  Here are few things we've been up to this month:

Friday, August 2nd--I got off work early and came home.  We were all going to go up to the cabin and spend the weekend, but since Nyles wasn't feel well I decided that I'd stay home and let Steve go up.  Nyles had been sick the past few days so I didn't want to have to worry about having him sleep anywhere else but his bed.  He somehow caught a respiratory virus.  Like before when he was sick he didn't really play much and you could just tell by looking at him that he wasn't feeling well.  Oh course there wasn't anything we could do about it since it was a virus, so we just had to let it run its course.  Dave came over on the 31st and helped give him a blessing, which we really appreciate.

Nyles just not feeling well....poor thing

 Nyles at the DRs not feeling well 


Steve has been wanting to stay overnight on the boat since we got married so I figured now was a good time.  As soon as I got home Steve headed out in our new Ford Edge.  He picked up Rob and Joann and they headed out.  They stopped to visit Dave at his new work/job in Park City (IHC) where they had lunch w/ him.  He had to finish up a few things so they continued on to Heber and then stopped at Smith's for a few groceries.  Dave then met them there where Joann went up the rest of the way w/ him.  After they got up there they all went out on the boat to fish.  After a few hours Dave and Joann left and went back to the cabin while Steve and Rob stayed on the boat to fish overnight.  They took the boat down to the gully behind the cabin and anchored it.  Steve had picked some glow sticks to put on the boat so they could have some more light.  They got dinner on their way up and then had some snacks on the boat as well.  Luckily I told Steve to grab a jacket because he said it got pretty cold during the night.  They fished for quite a while then finally went to bed.  Steve said they caught LOTS of fish, though mostly chubs.  

The day before Steve shaved off his goat-tee after 2 years

Steve on the boat

Joann enjoying the boat ride....it was a little cold I think ;)

Captain Dave

Their glow sticks shinning 

Rob and Steve enjoying their night fishing trip

Steve catching fish

Saturday, August 4th--Steve and everyone came back by the afternoon for Conor's 1st birthday party.  Since Nyles was sick earlier in the week the DR recommended not taking him around other kids, so Nyles and I stayed home.  Since Nyles birthday was coming up I thought I'd practice making a cake for him.  Come to find out, Nyles REALLY likes chocolate cake/frosting.   I also decided to go cut my hair short since I was sick of my long hair.  It's been a nice change.

Nyles enjoying the frosting spatula to the cake 


Needless to say he needed a bath after this :)

Sunday, August 4th--I had several meetings for Relief Society.  Steve also met w/ our high councilman and was called as an assistant finance clerk for the branch.   Considering he's been called as some soft of a missionary since we moved into the branch 4 years ago this was quite a change.  Steve has been enjoying the change, even though he's not too particular about finances.  Maybe this will help him be better w/ money and budgeting ;)  That afternoon we walked to a park for a Sunday afternoon stroll and played a little bocce.

Cute baby Nyles

Enjoying the swing at the park

Loves to climb on his tub and everything else

Just being his cute self

Ready to go for a walk

Friday, August 9th--We went over to our neighbors in the branch, who just happened to be the Elder's Quorum President and had dinner w/ them.  Ironically he's a vegetarian so his wife who is from the Philippines made bean/cheese enchiladas, which was really good.  She also made a really yummy chocolate dessert.  We stayed and chatted for a while after, then got Nyles home for bed.

Silly boy eating his blanket




Saturday, August 10th--I got together w/ my sisters for lunch to celebrate Pauline's birthday.  She wanted to eat at the Cheesecake Factory so that's where we went.  Nyles had just went down for a nap so Steve stayed home w/ him.  After lunch I hurried back home and picked up Steve and Nyles and we went to Wheeler Farm to celebrate Nyles' 1st Birthday (already posted).  It was a fun day!

Rose, me and Pauline at Cheesecake Factory

Sunday, August 11th--More meetings and church.  We also went over to the couple we home teach and Steve helped to give her a blessing.  She has had seizures in the past and has been trying to change her medication and has been having other difficulties.  Luckily she's doing better now.

Monday, August 12th--We celebrated Nyles' 1st birthday.  We had Dave and Joann come over for pizza and brownies and ice cream (posted about it already).  We are so blessed to have this cute little boy in our family.  We love him so much!

Steve has also been taking Nyles fishing to a nearby pond where there are catfish.  After some talking to other, Steve finally found out what kind of bait to use and has been rather successful.  Steve let Nyles hold the fishing pole also and he even caught one!  Steve was pretty surprised when he saw the strolling moving towards the water.  He said Nyles wouldn't let go of the fishing pole though and caught the 2.7 lb catfish!  Like father like son ;)
Nyles holding the fishing pole

Ready to catch his fish

Nyles LOVES watching the ducks

Another time fishing.  Nyles watching and enjoying his graham cracker :)


Tuesday, August 13th--We went and visited Britney and Joseph Graham (my former mission companion, know as Sister McPherron).  She had a little boy Grayson, about three months ago.  Then right before her birthday at the end of July they diagnosed her w/ leukemia again.  She had it right after they got married, which was a couple weeks before us, and struggled w/ it for a few years but was able to overcome it.  She was in remission long enough to get pregnant and have Grayson and then at her 6 week appt they found a growth on her ovaries and determined that it had returned.  They just bought a new house out in West Jordan right before they had him as well so we went to see the house, the baby and to visit of course.  It was good to see them.  We got to chat for a while, then Nyles was getting grumpy and tired so we went home.

Britney and I

The rest of the week I took off work.  We went up to the cabin and to another cabin in the Uintas (another post to come w/ more details and pics).  Needless to say it was a much needed vacation for both Steve and I.  Steve had just finished up his Summer Semester and also decided to quit the HOA.  After much thought about it was figured it would be best so he'd have a little less stress and also be able to devote more time to his classes.  He's taking 3 classes now for Fall Semester plus a lab (Chemistry, Human Biology and Psychology).  Salt Lake Community College started classes this past Wednesday the 21st.  Before we left on our vacation I scheduled us to have a dentist appt for the two of us, since I hate taking work off otherwise.

At work I got my 3rd Excellence in Action Award.  Your manager nominates you from your team for showing excellence for a the previous quarter, in this case Q2 2013.  I know it doesn't really matter but I really strive to do well at work and show excellence in what I do.  I really feel a sense of accomplishment when I achieve one as well.  In addition to the plaque, certificate, and some candy, they also give you an extra bonus for getting it.  The money is always welcome of course ;) Our team did awesome this past quarter in CEI so our bonus which will be paid this Friday will be the best I've ever had.  We're pretty excited.  Of course we'll just add it to our savings.  But we're really wanting to take another cruise next year for our 5 year anniversary and I'll be turning 30 next year, so I'm sure we'll put some of my bonus towards our vacation/celebration fund.  Party!!! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment